Fajita Bowls with Beef and Brown Rice RecipeFajita Bowls with Beef and Brown Rice
This Mexican-inspired meal is loaded with fresh vegetables and protein. It’s completely adaptable to your healthy eating style. Swap the beef for shredded chicken or black beans. Use kale or lettuce instead of spinach. Top it with your favorite salsa or hot sauce. Any way you fill your bowl, this is a healthy meal the whole family will love.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cups assorted peppers sliced*
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 ounces cooked ground grass-fed beef or shredded chicken
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
Condiment ideas: chopped cilantro, fresh lime wedges, salsa, hot sauce, guacamole, chopped avocado, pickled jalapenos, plain Greek yogurt or light sour cream
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables soften and begin to brown. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Place ½ cup of rice in each of four bowls. Top with 2 ounces of ground beef or chicken. Divide the cooked peppers and onions into four portions and add a portion to each bowl.
- Add a ½ cup spinach and ¼ cup of tomatoes to each bowl and serve with your favorite condiments.
*Any of your favorite sweet or hot peppers can be used. Try bell, Anaheim, Poblano or fresh banana peppers.