Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl RecipeSweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
Start your morning right with lots of protein, fiber, and vitamins. This bowl is loaded with healthy ingredients that will keep you full of energy throughout your busy morning. To save time, cook the ingredients the night before and store them in separate containers in the refrigerator. The next morning they will be ready to quickly combine and reheat.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (15 oz.) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 large whole eggs or 8 egg whites
- 1 tsp lime juice
Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, pickled jalapenos, salsa, Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Pierce the flesh of the sweet potatoes in a few places with a fork. Microwave until tender according to the manufacturer’s instructions, about 10 minutes on high. Set aside to cool.
- While the potatoes cook, heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook for 4 more minutes, until the vegetables soften.
- Add the black beans and cook for 1 more minute, until heated through. Stir in the chili powder, 1/8 teaspoon of the salt and all of the black pepper. Turn the heat to low and keep warm.
- Whisk the eggs together in a medium bowl. Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium. Add the eggs and scramble until cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Slit the sweet potatoes and transfer the flesh to a medium bowl. Add the lime juice and the remaining 1/8 tsp salt. Mash and stir the ingredients together.
- To assemble, divide the sweet potatoes, black beans and eggs into 4 portions. Add a portion of each to 4 serving bowls. Add optional toppings if desired and serve.