This smoothie uses heart-healthy dark chocolate combined with cocoa powder for a rich treat that is low in calories. For a thick smoothie, plan ahead and freeze the orange juice in ice cube trays before blending the ingredients. Be sure to use chocolate and cocoa powder that is at least 60 percent cocoa solids to get the most health benefit.
Yield: 1 serving
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ½ tsp honey (or your preferred sweetener)
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice, frozen in cubes
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp orange zest
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 6 dark chocolate chips
- 3 to 4 ice cubes
- Place the almond milk and the honey in the cup or pitcher of a blender. Pulse to blend in the honey.
- Add the orange juice cubes, cocoa powder, orange zest and vanilla. Place 4 chocolate chips in the blender. Chop the other 2 and reserve for garnish. Add the ice and pulse in 5 to 10 second intervals, until smooth and the chocolate chips are finely chopped.
- Pour into a glass, top with the reserved chocolate, and serve right away.