If you want the holiday flavors without the refined carbohydrates and excess sodium, give this shredded Brussels sprouts salad a try. It uses similar seasonings as your favorite holiday stuffing, but it is loaded with healthy vegetables for more nutrients and fiber.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced celery
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, shredded or thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped raw pecans
- ¼ tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp fine ground sea salt
- 2 tbsp diced dried cranberries
- To make the croutons, preheat the broiler to high and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Add bread cubes, cheese, 1 ½ teaspoons of olive oil, garlic powder and black pepper to a medium bowl. Stir well to coat the bread with the oil and other ingredients.
- Spread in single layer on the baking sheet. Broil for about 1 minute, stir and broil for about 1 more minute, until browned and crisp. Set aside.
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the garlic and onions and cook for 2 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the celery and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the shredded Brussels sprouts and cook for 3 to 5 more minutes, until they reach your desired softness. Stir in the pecans, poultry seasoning and sea salt, and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cranberries. Serve warm, topped with the croutons.