These hearty muffins are made with fiber-rich whole wheat flour and yellow corn meal. Mashed banana replaces high fat oils and keeps the muffins tender while adding extra sweetness. Fresh cranberries add a seasonal twist with tart flavor. These muffins make a healthy addition to a holiday brunch and are easy to take along for an afternoon snack.
Yield: 9 muffins
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup mashed banana (about ½ a large banana)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup raw sugar
- ½ cup lowfat milk
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp fine ground sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground clove
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray 9 muffin cups in a standard 12-muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mashed banana and egg until blended. Stir in the sugar and the milk. Continue to stir for 30 to 60 seconds to help dissolve the raw sugar. Add the vanilla.
- Stir in the salt, cinnamon, and clove. Next, add the baking powder.
- In a small bowl, combine the whole wheat flour and cornmeal. Gradually add the flour and cornmeal mix to the wet ingredients as you stir slowly. Mix just until all ingredients are combined. Fold in the cranberries.
- Transfer the batter to the muffin tin, filling each of the 9 cups with an equal amount. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes and serve.