A stuffed potato is a delicious option for healthy comfort food. Potatoes contain potassium, vitamin C, and B vitamins. This baked potato is topped with a creamy filling that resembles spinach and artichoke dip. It makes an easy vegetarian meal that comes together in minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 medium russet potatoes (about 5 oz. each)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 white button mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped artichoke hearts canned in water (about 3)*
- ¼ tsp fine ground sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup part skim ricotta cheese
- Pierce the potatoes in five to six spots with a fork. Microwave on high 7 to 10 minutes until tender. Carefully remove from the microwave and place each potato on a serving plate.
- While the potatoes are in the microwave, make the filling. Heat the oil over medium-high in a medium skillet. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook 3 minutes. Add the spinach, and cook 2 more minutes.
- Stir in the artichoke hearts, salt and pepper, cook for 30 seconds, and then remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in the ricotta cheese.
- Cut a slit in each potato. Open the potato and spoon ¼ of the filling into each. Serve warm.
*Check the labels of canned artichoke hearts closely. Some varieties packed in water still have high levels of sodium. Options are available that have only 50 to 90 milligrams per serving.