Trail mix makes a quick and healthy snack, but many packaged varieties are loaded with excess sugar and sodium. This version uses unsalted nuts, unsweetened dried fruit, whole grain cereal, and a few dark chocolate chips for a satisfying snack that is easy to pack with you during busy afternoons or on weekend hikes.
Yield: 14 servings
Preparation time: 5 minutes
- 3 cups puffed whole grain cereal (such as puffed kamut)
- ¼ cup raw cashew pieces
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup halved and sliced dried figs (about 6 figs)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Add the cereal, cashews, coconut, chocolate chips, and figs to a medium bowl. Stir to mix all ingredients.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the trail mix and toss to coat all ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.