Zucchini and other summer squashes are antioxidant-rich and provide copper, manganese, potassium, folate, and fiber. In this recipe, zucchini sticks are coated in bread crumbs and baked until crunchy for a healthy snack or side dish.
Yield: 6 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb. small zucchini, ends trimmed
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp fine ground sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut each zucchini in half length-wise, and then cut each half again length-wise to make 4 sticks per small zucchini.
- In a large shallow baking dish, stir together the bread crumbs, cheese, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg and the water for 15 seconds. Add the zucchini sticks to the bowl and toss to coat each in the egg.
- Transfer the zucchini sticks to the dish with the bread crumbs. Working in batches, coat each stick with crumbs. Place the sticks, skin-side down on a baking sheet covered with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the zucchini is tender and the bread crumbs are browned and crunchy. Serve warm.