These simple biscuits are made with olive oil and almond milk to reduce saturated fat. We have also used whole grain flour to add dietary fiber. The sweet flavors of apple and cinnamon make them a delicious substitute for higher calorie baked goods like cinnamon rolls and danishes.
Yield: 6 biscuits
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 10 minutes
- 2 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine ground sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 medium apple, shredded (about 1 cup)
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain or vanilla almond milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add the olive oil to a large bowl and stir in the brown sugar. Mix in the vanilla, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Pour in the flour and stir just until all ingredients are combined. It will be crumbly. Fold in the shredded apple.
- Add the milk and stir until a wet dough is formed. Use a ¼ measuring cup to scoop out the dough, and place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet or a baking sheet covered in a silicone mat.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the edges are browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.