Asparagus is loaded with vitamin K and folate. It cooks quickly making it an easy, nutritious side dish any night of the week. In this recipe, sesame oil and soy sauce give the vegetable a flavorful twist.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 2 tsp dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- In a small dish, whisk together the sesame oil, honey, soy sauce, rice vinegar and garlic powder. Set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus. Move the stalks around the pan as it cooks. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until bright green and slightly tender.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and pour in the sesame oil dressing. Toss to coat the asparagus. The sauce will blacken in places on the stalks.
- Place the asparagus on a serving platter, and sprinkle with the black and white sesame seeds before serving.