These scones provide a sweet breakfast treat that will cure a chocolate craving without ruining your eating plan. They are made with whole wheat flour for extra fiber and slightly sweetened with raw sugar and dark chocolate chips. They are a healthier option when compared to store-bought scones that can contain as many as 500 calories and 22 grams of fat.
Yield: 8 scones
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 17 minutes
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp raw sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp fine ground sea salt
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp fat-free milk
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter.
- Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut the butter into the dough until all the ingredients are combined and the butter is evenly distributed in pea-size pieces.
- Stir in the milk. Add the chocolate chips. Knead the ingredients into a thick dough until all ingredients are combined.
- Place the dough on a greased baking sheet or a baking sheet covered with a silicone mat. Shape it into a flat, 6-inch circle. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar over the dough, and press it in gently. Use a pastry cutter or a knife to cut the circle into 8 equal wedges.
- Leave the wedges intact and the scone dough in the circle, and bake for 15 to 17 minutes until the center is firm.
- Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes, and then use the pastry cutter or knife to retrace the cuts to separate the scones into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.