Pastas with creamy sauces are satisfying, but they are also loaded with calories and saturated fat. By using part-skim ricotta cheese and seasonal vegetables, you can create a healthier meal that mimics traditional favorites.
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups sliced zucchini
- 3 cups cooked whole wheat pasta (like linguine)
- ¾ cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil
- Heat the oil over medium-high in a large, deep skillet. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 3 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring often, for 7 to 10 more minutes, until the zucchini is slightly tender.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the cooked pasta. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the ricotta, lemon zest, and black pepper. Sprinkle with the fresh basil and serve.