This recipe combines roasted vegetables with chickpeas and extra virgin olive oil to create a dip that provides protein, heart-healthy fat, and vitamins. Use it for dipping vegetables, as a spread for whole grain crackers, or as a filling for vegetarian sandwiches.
Yield: About 2 cups
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) low-sodium chickpeas, drained
- ½ tsp fine ground sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the carrots, cauliflower, onion, and garlic cloves in a medium bowl. Pour 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over the vegetables and toss to coat. Spread the vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Roast the vegetables for 25 minutes. Stir one time about halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl of a food processor. Add the cooled vegetables, salt, black pepper, basil, and coriander. Puree on high for about 20 seconds, or until the mixture turns into a spreadable paste and all vegetables are finely chopped. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the olive oil. Puree for 30 to 45 more seconds, until the mixture becomes somewhat smooth. Remove from the food processor and serve.