Cranberry Orange Quinoa Recipe RecipeCranberry Orange Quinoa Recipe
If you haven't had quinoa yet, this recipe provides the perfect opportunity to try it. This whole grain is often served as a savory dish, but it’s nutty flavor goes well with sweet orange and honey too. Quinoa contains high-quality protein with all nine essential amino acids. The orange and the cranberries add both fiber and vitamin C.
Tips for the cook: Dried cranberries can be substituted for fresh cranberries, but keep in mind that they will be sweeter due to the sugar added during processing. They may increase both the calorie content and the sugar content in the recipe.
Total preparation time: 15 minutes
Yield: About 4, ½-cup servings
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (about ¾ cup dry)
- ½ cup fresh cranberries
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ½ tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
- Place the cooked quinoa in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Put the cranberries in a small food processor and pulse until all the berries are chopped. Add the cranberries to the quinoa. Next add the chopped orange, and stir the fruit together with the quinoa.
- In a small dish, whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, and honey. Pour this dressing over the quinoa. Add the walnuts, if desired.
- Stir all ingredients until the quinoa and dressing are mixed.