Twice Baked Black Bean Sweet Potatoes RecipeTwice Baked Black Bean Sweet Potatoes
This recipe gives a healthy twist to traditional potato skins. It combines sweet potatoes and black beans to make a delicious appetizer or snack that is loaded with vitamins and fiber.
Yield: 8 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 15 minutes
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
Serve with: salsa, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, Greek yogurt, or chopped avocado
- Poke several holes in the sweet potatoes with a fork. Microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Carefully cut the sweet potatoes in half and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Working over a medium bowl, scoop out the flesh until only a thin layer remains inside the potato skins. Set the potato flesh aside.
- Grease a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Arrange the potato skins cut-side up on the baking sheet. Preheat the broiler.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high in a large skillet. Add the onion and garlic. Cook about 3 minutes, until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the black beans, reserved sweet potato, and stock to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium low. Use a rubber spatula or a potato masher to stir and mash the sweet potato and black beans together.
- Stir in the lime juice, chili powders, and salt. Turn off the heat and let cool for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Fill each of the potato skins with an equal amount of the sweet potato and black bean filling. Sprinkle the top of each with a ½ tablespoon of cheese.
- Place under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, until the cheese is browned and melted. Serve warm.