Whole Wheat Honey Apricot Pancakes RecipeWhole Wheat Honey Apricot Pancakes
Starting your day with a high-sugar breakfast that is full of refined grains is sure to leave you feeling sluggish in a few hours. This doesn’t mean that you have to give up your favorite breakfast foods. Adding whole wheat flour and oats to your pancakes gives them plenty of protein and fiber to keep your energy up all morning.
Yield: 5 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup low-fat buttermilk
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg, olive oil, honey, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir the batter just until all ingredients are incorporated. Let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Heat the skillet to medium. Add ¼ cup of batter to the skillet for each pancake. Sprinkle the top of each pancake with about 2 teaspoons of chopped apricots. (Cook 2 to 3 pancakes at a time depending on the size of your skillet.)
- Let the pancakes cook until bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 2 more minutes. Transfer the pancakes to a plate or baking sheet, and repeat the process with the remaining batter. You can keep pancakes warm by placing the baking sheet in a warm oven (about 200 degrees Fahrenheit) while you cook the remaining batter.
- Serve warm. Top with more chopped apricots, a drizzle of honey, or a dollop of vanilla yogurt, if desired.