Homemade Baba Ganoush RecipeHomemade Baba Ganoush
Baba ganoush is an eggplant dip or spread popular in Turkish, Lebanese, and Indian cuisines. It is easy to make at home, and results in a delicious vegetable-based snack with heart-healthy fats from olive oil, seeds, or nuts. While it is often served with pita or flatbread, you can lighten up your snack by serving it with fresh vegetables, such as cucumber slices, celery sticks, and cherry tomatoes.
Tips for the cook: Baba ganoush is traditionally made with tahini (sesame seed paste). If you don’t have tahini on hand, any type of unsweetened nut butter makes a flavorful substitute. This recipe uses natural peanut butter, but almond butter is also a great choice.
Yield: About 2 cups, 16 servings
Baking time: 1 hour
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 2 large eggplants
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp natural, unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Parsley and olive oil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Pierce the whole eggplants in several places with a fork. Rub the ½ teaspoon of olive oil over the eggplant. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour, or until the flesh is soft and the skin begins to shrivel. Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Split the eggplants with a knife and use a spoon to scoop out the soft flesh. Place it in the bowl of a food processor. Add the garlic, peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, parsley, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Puree until smooth, about 20 seconds.
- Add the chili powder, red pepper, and salt. Pulse until mixed in. Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving. Serve room temperature or slightly cold.
Nutrition information for one serving (about 2 tablespoons): Calories 36; Total Fat 2 g; Saturated Fat 0.3 g; Trans Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 45 mg; Carbohydrate 4 g; Fiber 2.1 g; Sugar 1.5 g; Protein 1.1 g